Skip to main content

Review: Radiohead - Kid A [Salvaged]

Kid A is commonly regarded as one of two absolute masterpieces created by the English band Radiohead. A lot has been written about this album; musically, it's a huge shift from their 1997 album, OK Computer. It leans much more into an experimental electronic direction, a change that, at the time, was not welcomed by all fans, but is now regarded as an important development in rock history.

As I said, it's been written about a lot. One possible interpretation of the album, however, really hasn't been explored as much as it could (or should) be. In my view, Kid A is not only a brilliantly experimental, musically challenging (and ultimately rewarding) listen, but is also a very well written concept album about nuclear apocalypse. Again, this is just my opinion, and Radiohead haven't specifically mentioned this interpretation in interviews, but it makes sense on a narrative and musical level.

Radiohead - Kid A  ||  Released 2000  ||  Experimental Rock, Electronic 

Below I'll go through each track and why I think it fits this concept. I won't talk about all of the musical characteristics as much as I could to keep this brief, but I'll still include some of the ideas and execution that stand out to me.

1. Everything in Its Right Place

This track is the tranquil, idyllic starting point; nothing is amiss, everything is fine. Musically, it's lighter and more uplifting than many of the tracks to come. The lyrics, though simple, effectively convey a message of peaceful "rightness" in the world this album takes place in.

2. Kid A

An ominous lullaby; the atomic bomb, "Kid A", is born. Musically, it's minimalistic: the vocals are robotic and other sounds are muffled, in a way I imagine an infant might hear them. The lyrics are cryptic (as is often the case with Radiohead), but what really fits the narrative of the album is the feel of this cut. I get a definite impression of something newly-born, with terrible potential and capacity. On the surface, this might seem like a tenuous connection, but in the context of the full album, it makes sense.


3. The National Anthem

Musically very noisy and energetic, possibly even aggressive, and one of the most experimental cuts on the record. I love how the horns and brass section play off the distorted vocals, as well as the pure atmosphere present here in the form of mellotron and synths. The name of the track, as well as the general feel and linear song progression, make me think of a government gearing its citizens up for a war or propagandizing their populace in preparation for a conflict. An explosion is budding, and sooner than anyone could guess. 


4. How to Disappear Completely

The moment of Kid A's impact. Many humans are vaporized right away, their souls burned from their bodies. This song, in my view, is from the perspective of a soul observing the destruction that has just transpired and his own flesh and substance disintegrating. There's the surreal feeling of a sudden loss, and denial of the horror of this terrible moment. 

"In a little while
I'll be gone
The moment's already passed
Yeah it's gone
And I'm not here
This isn't happening
I'm not here
I'm not here"

5. Treefingers

An ambient interlude; the eye of the storm, a moment of calm before the fallout and return to humanity.


6. Optimistic

A song for the survivors of the cataclysm. Humans are scrambling for resources, confusion reigns, and life is savage. 

"Flies are buzzing round my head
Vultures circling the dead
Picking up every last crumb
The big fish eat the little ones
The big fish eat the little ones
Not my problem, give me some"

Musically, this is apocalyptically desolate, while still being quite punchy and catchy. I think it quite fits the narrative of a nuclear aftermath.

7. In Limbo

My personal favorite track on the album. It's so surreal and disturbing; the gradual buildup of the guitars and opening vocals allude to a psychedelic climax that Radiohead manage perfectly. In the context of Kid A's nuclear apocalypse narrative, this is a moment of utter despair. Thom's vocals at the end are chilling and beautiful.

"Lundy, Fastnet, Irish Sea
I've got a message I can't read
I'm on your side
Nowhere to hide
Trapdoors that open
I spiral down"

Some gaps can't be bridged. Some wounds won't heal. 

8. Idioteque

An incredibly visceral song, featuring stuttering electronic percussion, wild vocals and sour synths. This is frenetic and anxious in a way virtually unrivaled, even to this day. 

"Who's in a bunker, who's in a bunker?
Women and children first, and the children first, and the children
I'll laugh until my head comes off
I'll swallow 'til I burst
Until I burst, until I
Who's in a bunker who's in a bunker?
I have seen too much, I haven't seen enough
You haven't seen it
I'll laugh until my head comes off
Women and children first, and children first, and children
Here I'm alive
Everything all of the time
Here I'm alive
Everything all of the time"

Aside from the obvious line about "bunkers", this fits with an apocalyptic narrative. The song has a feeling of post-apocalyptic anxiety to it; we are scrambling desperately to find safety, fear and stress meet us at every turn...

9. Morning Bell

We're managing as best we can, but times are hard. This is all about survival and reluctant compromises. The morning bell symbolizes rising from sleep, another day of hard decisions. The lyrics get a bit disturbing, but perhaps this is a step up from our previous hysterics.

10. Motion Picture Soundtrack

A song about getting back to normalcy, with classic Thom Yorke cryptic lyrics. I think this is a thematic conclusion to the concept of the album; things have settled down. Life is still hard, treacherous and filled with "little white lies", but now it's in a normal, familiar way...we've survived the apocalypse. Musically, it very much feels like a beautiful culmination.

----------------------------------------------------

Kid A as a concept album succeeds in creating an oppressive and cohesive atmosphere, while still allowing breathing room for eclectic musical ideas. Taken together, these tracks set up a grand story of apocalypse and survival that, in my opinion, has yet to be topped. Even if you're not completely convinced of my interpretation, I hope you try it anyway. Brilliant album.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Waste Land by T.S. Eliot (Themed Playlist)

"The Waste Land" by T.S. Eliot  “A heap of broken images, where the sun beats, And the dead tree gives no shelter, the cricket no relief, And the dry stone no sound of water. Only There is shadow under this red rock, (Come in under the shadow of this red rock), And I will show you something different from either Your shadow at morning striding behind you Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you; I will show you fear in a handful of dust.” “My nerves are bad to-night. Yes, bad. Stay with me. 'Speak to me. Why do you never speak? Speak. 'What are you thinking of? What thinking? What? 'I never know what you are thinking. Think.” The Waste Land is one of the most impactful pieces of poetry that I have ever read. A British work written in the wake of WWI, it is an early example of modernism in poetry, and in fact inspired the entire literary movement almost on its own. It requires heavy interpretation and direct attention from the reader to understand and digest i

Ranking Chelsea Wolfe's Discography (Worst to Best)

Similar / relevant lists: Gaian Doom Boxset               Chelsea Wolfe Interview Compilation                 Radiohead Song Ranking Björk Ranking                          The Joy Formidable Ranking Chelsea Wolfe is a strong contender for my favorite artist of all time. Her and the eponymous band's style is versatile, and, contrary to the views of some detractors, not chameleonic; all of her work is very dark and often gothic, but there are many different facets and angles of her own unique darkness that she comes at in her work. Genres she has explored include ethereal wave, dark folk, doom metal, and gothic rock. In this ranking, I will list my favorite studio albums in reverse order. Underneath, I will rank my 50 favorite songs of hers. 8. Mistake in Parting  ||  Alternative Rock  ||  2006  ||  5.5/10 7. Birth of Violence  ||  Dark Folk, Singer/Songwriter, Gothic Country  ||  2019  ||  8.5/10 6. Hiss Spun  ||  Doom Metal, Ethereal Wave, Gothic Rock  ||  2017  ||  9/10 5. Unknow

2024 Album Ratings (2)

Other Installments: One   ||  Three All of my album ratings for albums released this year (so far). This is the second installment. We've had a decent year so far. The top 10 on this list don't touch last year's, but it's early days yet. New additions to the list are are indicated. 1. Chelsea Wolfe - She Reaches Out to She Reaches Out to She   ||  Darkwave, Post-Industrial, Trip Hop  ||  10/10  2. Allie X - Girl With No Face  ||  Synthpop, Darkwave, Electronic  ||  9.5/10 (NEW)  3. The Smile - Wall of Eyes  ||  Art Rock, Post-Rock, Krautrock  ||   9/10   4. Ally St. Ives - Dryleaze Marching Band   ||  Post-Rock, Neo-Psychedelia, Experimental  ||  9/10   5. Kim Gordon - The Collective  ||  Industrial Hip Hop, Trap, Experimental Rock, No Wave  ||  8/10 (NEW)  6. Sonic Youth - Walls Have Ears   ||  Noise Rock, No Wave, Archival  ||  8/10 (NEW)  7. Everything Everything - Mountainhead  | |  Synthpop, Art Pop, Indietronica  ||  7.5/10 (NEW)    8. Laetitia Sadier - Root