Skip to main content

Diamanda Galás - Plague Mass (Album Review)

 One of the most unique voices in experimental music, Galás is a cult legend. This album is absolutely her finest work.



Experimental  ||  April 1, 1991

The concept behind "Plague Mass" is anti-religious in nature, specifically targeting Christian religions' contempt and disregard for those affected by the AIDS virus. Her own brother died of AIDS four years before the recording of this album, and the pain Galás has suffered is clearly evidenced in the tortured sound of her singing.

The sounds on this album alternate between spoken-word segments and high, ululating, torturous wails, backed by slow, thudding drumbeats and occasional ambient atmosphere. "Disconcerting" doesn't even begin to describe it. "Terrifying", "surreal" and "disturbing" might come a little closer.

"This Is the Law of the Plague" begins with 30 seconds of sparse drum beats. And then, Diamanda's vocals begin. Her voice is like a hot knife slicing through butter. "When any man hath an issue out of his flesh, / Because of his issue he is unclean / Every bed whereon he lieth is unclean / And everything whereon he sitteth, unclean." A quote from Leviticus, used as part of a condemnation of churches' stance on those with the disease. Galás seems to play different characters throughout "Plague Mass", sometimes a priest, sometimes an AIDS sufferer, sometimes herself. Queer bits like this are found scattered throughout the album, and serve to heighten the atmosphere of disquiet that permeates it.

The closing track, "Let My People Go", evidences how Galás' narrative is flexible. "Oh Lord Jesus / Do you think I served my time? / The eight legs of the devil now / Are crawling up my spine / I go to sleep each evening now / Dreaming of the grave / I see the friends I used to know / Crawling up my leg." This serves as an accusation against God for his part in sending a plague to prey upon those she loves. It's not clear, here or anywhere, whether she actually believes in God or is in any way religious. Regardless, her lyrics and vocals here are powerful. On this particular track, her vocal style is almost Blues-ish, with a distinct southern drawl twisting lips and lamenting her loss.

This is an awkward situation I find myself in; should I recommend this? Like, to anyone? Although I was moved by Galás' message and narratives, transfixed and even fascinated by the musical content, I can't see myself returning to this anytime soon. It's a brutal experience, and I suppose I can recommend it to anyone looking for a good solid kick to the stomach.

Still, this was an unforgettable musical experience.

Rating: 8.5/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ranking Chelsea Wolfe's Discography (Worst to Best)

Similar / relevant lists: Gaian Doom Boxset               Chelsea Wolfe Interview Compilation                 Radiohead Song Ranking Björk Ranking                          The Joy Formidable Ranking Chelsea Wolfe is a strong contender for my favorite artist of all time. Her and the eponymous band's style is versatile, and, contrary to the views of some detractors, not chameleonic; all of her work is very dark and often gothic, but there are many different facets and angles of her own unique darkness that she comes at in her work. Genres she has explored include ethereal wave, dark folk, doom metal, and gothic rock. In this ranking, I will list my favorite studio albums in reverse order. Underneath, I will rank my 50 favorite songs of hers. 8. Mistake in Parting  ||  Alternative Rock  ||  2006  ||  5.5/10 7. Birth ...

Favorite Songs of the 1970s (Chronological)

  Decade Rating: 3.92. Ranked  #1 / 7. 5 songs per year, starting from 1970. 1970     1) Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath  ||  Heavy Metal, Hard Rock     2)  Neil Young - Tell Me Why  ||  Country Rock, Folk Rock     3)  Exuma - Mama Loi, Papa Loi  ||  Freak Folk, Caribbean Folk     4)  Miles Davis - Pharaoh's Dance  ||  Jazz Fusion, Avant-Garde Jazz     5)  Santana - Black Magic Woman / Gypsy Queen  ||  Latin Rock 1971     1) Joni Mitchell - All I Want  ||  Singer/Songwriter, Contemporary Folk     2)  The Rolling Stones - Wild Horses  ||  Blues Rock     3)  Funkadelic - Super Stupid  ||  Funk Rock, Psychedelic Rock     4)  Comus - Drip Drip  ||  Freak Folk, Avant-Folk, Progressive Folk     5)  Leonard Cohen - Avalanche  ||  Singer/Songwrit...

Cold & Dark Electronic (Genre Playlist)

Electronic music spans a vast and diverse landscape, but the cold and dark subgenres hold a special place for their atmospheric depth and emotive intensity. These tracks are characterized by moody, intricate production, and often explore themes of introspection, dystopia, and the human condition. The artists in this realm push the boundaries of sound, crafting music that is both haunting and mesmerizing. The past few decades have seen a significant evolution in these subgenres, with innovation and experimentation leading to some truly unforgettable tracks. Electronic production is often associated with newer music...I don't necessarily agree with this, but there is a definite tendency towards some more recent tracks here. Nevertheless, there is a good amount of older stuff in this playlist as well. Below is an unranked (but carefully curated) playlist of some of my favorite cold and dark electronic songs from across the years. Hope you enjoy! 1. The Knife - Silent Shout  ||  S...